The content of this page is for information only. If you suspect an animal has been poisoned, or may be suffering from any other illness, please contact a veterinarian. We expect to increase the content of the page over time.
Tips for dealing with suspected poisoning:
1) If you know what the animal has eaten, drunk or otherwise contacted, please give the veterinarian this information, especially any packaging or product label which can be helpful in determining how the animal is to be treated. There are MANY toxic agents - successful treatment, if possible, is dependent on knowing what is involved.
2) Get the animal seen by a vet as quickly as possible.
3) If the animal has ingested something DO NOT induce vomiting unless so instructed by a vet. In some cases, vomiting can make the situation worse - especially in the case of acids or alkalis (e.g. drain cleaner).
4) Activated charcoal (available in pharmacies, health food stores as capsules) can be given to reduce absorption of an ingested poison from the stomach/intestines.
5) If the animal has been bathed with something (e.g. a flea/tick wash) and seems to be reacting to it, wash the animal off thoroughly with soap and water to remove any remaining chemical and reduce further absorption.